Hey Friday New Rooters!
As promised, your first peak at some of our recommendations for a deliciously local labor day meal. We were inspired by this Red Cabbage Salad with Apricots, by the National Onion Society (yes, that’s a thing). We loved the idea of putting our delicious apricots to good use, but wanted to take advantage of the lovely zucchini we’ve had recently.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ½ lbs. yellow onions, thinly-sliced
- 2 med. zucchinis, grated and strained
- 3 cups Kale, washed and shredded
- 1 ½ lbs. Granny Smith apples, cored and diced into medium pieces
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup citrus
- 2 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar
Heat oil in a large sauté pan, add onions and stir well. Cook 8-10 minutes on medium-high heat. Add zucchini, apples, apricots, salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes.
Meanwhile, place shredded kale in a ceramic or wooden bowl and douse with citrus and balsalmic vineger of choice (we love oranges for this). Let sit, covered, so the kale begins to blanch.
Add vegetable broth and caraway seeds to pan with zucchini mixture. Stir to mix all ingredients. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook an additional 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before serving, stir in parsley and orange zest and keep warm.