courtesy of Sara Boyd Smith
Black-eyed peas for luck, and collard greens for money - this New Year's soup is healthy, tasty, and bound to bring a great year!Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced (You can use turnips too)
3 leaves collard greens, coarsely chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, or to taste
salt and ground black pepper to taste Method
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat; cook and stir garlic until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and carrots. Cook and stir until carrots begin to brown and onion becomes translucent, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cook and stir collard greens into onion mixture until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable broth and black-eyed peas into vegetables, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer soup until vegetables are softened, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, mix quinoa and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the water has absorbed into the quinoa, about 10 minutes.
- Stir cooked quinoa into soup and simmer until collard greens are tender, about 10 more minutes. Stir cider vinegar into soup to taste and season with salt and black pepper.