courtesy of Allrecipes.comIngredients
2 tablespoons butter
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups cubed butternut squash
1 cup diced carrots
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 quart chicken stock
1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
1/2 cup light cream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped chives Method
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in leeks and onions, and cook until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add potato, squash, carrots, apple, and chicken stock (or Vegetable stock).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Carefully puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use a stick blender to puree the soup right in the pot.
- Once the soup has been pureed, return it to the pot and stir in wine and cream.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper; simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped chives.