courtesy of GourmetIngredients
1 small head broccoli (1/2 pound)
1 large boiling potato (1/2 pound)
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
l large garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 oz sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)Method
- Discard tough lower third of broccoli stem. Peel remaining stem and finely chop. Cut remaining broccoli into very small (1-inch) florets.
- Cook florets in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, then drain. Reserve 3 cups cooking water for chowder.
- Peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Cook potato, onion, bell pepper, broccoli stems, and garlic in butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, and mustard and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add reserved cooking water and simmer (partially covered), stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cheese and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted, then season with salt and pepper.
- Purée about 2 cups of chowder in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids) and return to pot.
- Add florets and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.