courtesy of From Chef Josh Delgado, Alderbrook Resort & SpaIngredients
4 large beets
1 cup white wine
1 cup pistachios, toasted
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon tarragon
1 tablespoon parsley
4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch thyme
4 ounces honey
4 ounces chevre goat cheese
salt and pepperMethod
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place beets in a roasting pan with the wine and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place in oven for roughly 2 hours or until fork tender. Once the beets are cooked, carefully wipe them with a kitchen towel and cut into 1-inch by 1-inch pieces or desired shape. Allow to completely cool, roughly 30 minutes.
- While the beets are roasting, place the toasted pistachios in a food processer along with the zest, shallot, and spices, and pulse while adding the olive oil until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Combine the thyme and honey in a small sauce pot and bring to a very low simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap to allow it to steep. Warm the honey back up and strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Toss the beets in a mixing bowl with the citrus juice, two tablespoons of thyme honey, salt, and pepper.
- Place beets on a platter or plates and top with pistachio pesto and chunks of fresh goat cheese, then drizzle with thyme honey.