courtesy of Sylvia Fountaine
Lovely Spring Salad for any occasion: Optional garnishes- crumbled goat cheese or feta, sliced avocado, sunflower sprouts or pea shoots, flower petals- chive blossoms are nice.Salad Ingredients
1 cup quinoa (dry)
1 1/2 cup water (or for more flavor, use Veg or chicken broth)
1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 cups shelled fresh English peas or substitute radishes, snap peas or even spring greens.
3 scallions – thinly sliced at a diagonal
½ cup fresh herbs chopped, such as cilantro, parsley, dill, thyme
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted ( optional, or sub other nut or seed)Dressing
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
zest from 1 lemon
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice ( 1–2 lemons)
1/2–1 teaspoon kosher salt or other crunchy flake salt
pepper to tasteMethod
- Rinse the quinoa and place it in a pot with the water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and allow it to simmer on low heat for 12-15 minutes. Turn off heat, and let sit covered for 5 -10 minutes, then uncover, fluff with a fork and let it cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, blanch the peas and asparagus in salted boiling water for just a few minutes, until bright and tender. Rinse under cold water.
- Place the cooled quinoa and blanched veggies in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill and almonds and give a toss. Add the oil, lemon zest and lemon juice and salt, pepper and stir again.
- Taste, adjust salt and lemon, adding more if you like. If you are making this ahead, be sure to taste before serving as flavors will mellow – so I’ll usually add a little more salt and lemon.
- Serve with optional avocado, feta, goat cheese, sunflower sprouts.