courtesy of Katherine Sacks, Epicurious
Enhance the flavor of store-bought chicken broth for a hearty soup packed with farro, white beans, kale, and plenty of lemon!Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 large carrots (about 10 ounces), coarsely chopped
2 onions, coarsely chopped, divided
12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, divided
1 leftover roasted chicken carcass, meat picked off in large pieces and reserved, or 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups whole farro
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained, rinsed
1 cup thinly sliced Tuscan kale
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley or cilantro or both
1/4 cup coarsely chopped dill
1 baguette, sliced, toasted
Lemon wedges (for serving)Method
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large pot over medium-high. Cook carrots, half of the onion, and 3 sliced garlic cloves, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add chicken carcass, if using, and broth; cover and simmer 30 minutes. (If you\'re not using carcass, simmer 15 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, toast farro in another large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown and smells nutty, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp. salt and 3 cups water. Cover and simmer until farro is tender and liquid evaporates, about 30 minutes; strain any remaining liquid, if necessary. Set aside 2 cups farro for Dill-Crusted Pork Tenderloin or reserve for another use.
- Strain chicken broth mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl; discard carcass and vegetables. Set aside 2 cups broth for Potato, Leek, and Pea Pot Pie or reserve for another use.
- Wipe out pot, then heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over low. Cook remaining onion and 9 sliced garlic cloves, stirring occasionally, until tender and light golden, 8–10 minutes. Add remaining broth left in bowl, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer. Add reserved chicken meat, beans, kale, lemon juice, pepper, and remaining 1 1/2 tsp. salt and farro left in pot; cook until vegetables are cooked through, 3–5 minutes.
- Divide soup among bowls. Stir 1 Tbsp. salsa verde into each bowl, if using, and sprinkle with dill. Serve with baguette slices and lemon wedges alongside.