courtesy of Taste of Home
Years ago, I fell hard for a lemony Greek soup at Panera Bread. It was just a special back then, and I re-created it at home so we could eat it whenever a craving hit! —Kristin Cherry, Bothell, WashingtonIngredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard, kale or spinach
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium lemon, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cups cooked brown riceMethod
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the chicken; cook and stir until browned.
- Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Stir broth, vegetables, lemon slices, lemon juice, zest and pepper into chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Stir in rice; heat through.