courtesy of Moosewood Restaurant
An attractive and inexpensive side dish. You really don't need much sweetener, because a well-cooked cabbage has a wonderful sweetness all its own.Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
3/4 cup apple juice or cider
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh dill (1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
3 tablespoons cider vinegar (more to taste)
1 tablespoon honey (optional)Method
- Saute the onions in the oil or butter until lightly browned.
- Add the cabbage and continue to saute for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except honey.
- Cook on low heat, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The cabbage will be greatly reduced in volume. Cabbage and onions are sweeter the longet they simmer, so taste first and then add more vinegar and the honey if needed.