courtesy of Tina Miller, Bon Appetit
The beets in your bin this week are called Chiogga. They are brighter in color and often striped inside.
To make this salad more of a main dish, add cooked lentils, pumpkin seeds, or a nut of your choice!
Try a milder domestic Gorgonzola (rather than the equally delicious but more pungent Italian version) Goat Cheese also works really well!Ingredients
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 4 ounces)
* 2 cups roughly torn bite-size pieces French bread
* 1/4 cup assorted chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, and rosemary)
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 6-8 baby beets, or 2 to 3 medium beets diced
* 8 ounces baby arugula (about 12 cups)Method
- Place lemon juice and vinegar in small bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup oil. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat remaining 1/3 cup oil in medium ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bread pieces; toss to coat. Add herbs and garlic; toss to coat. Sauté until bread is crisp, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer croutons to plate in single layer. Cool.
- Add beets to same skillet, tossing to coat with any remaining herbs and oil. Cover skillet with foil and transfer to oven. Roast until beets are tender, about 45 minutes. Cool beets. Peel, The skin will come right off with your fingers. Then cut into chunks.
- Toss arugula with 1/2 cup dressing in large wide bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with beets and croutons and serve.