courtesy of Always Cooking Up Something
Intriguing combination of quinoa, arugula, dried cranberries, avocado and grapefruit with a spicy dressing make this a snazzy side dish or lovely summer lunch main dish.Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced serrano pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup arugula
1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
4 cups baby arugula leaves, washed and dried
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned Method
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the quinoa until it has a nutty aroma.
- Remove from heat, rinse and drain in a fine mesh strainer.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add salt, and slowly add toasted quinoa. Cook until tender and the outer rings appear on the grains, 15 to 20 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh colander. Place in a large bowl to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries, lime juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, serrano pepper, mint, cilantro, shallot, and arugula.
- Stir into the cooled quinoa and add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Place 1 cup of baby arugula on each salad plate. Top with quinoa mixture, avocado, and grapefruit.