courtesy of Edna Lewis, Gourmet, Jan 2008
Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 1 hr. Cooks' note: Beets can be roasted and sliced 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before tossing with vinaigrette and parsley.
There you have it!Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds medium local beets (about 4; 2 1/2 pounds with greens), trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stems attached
2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons sugar (try subbing honey!)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsleyMethod
- Cover beets generously with water in a heavy medium saucepan and simmer until tender when pierced in center with a knife, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and cool to warm, then slip off skins.
- Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, onion, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
- Add oil in a slow stream, whisking, then add warm beets and parsley and toss.
- Season with additional sugar and salt.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.