courtesy of BY ANNA STOCKWELL EPICURIOUS
This recipe uses a mixture of ground beef and fresh chorizo, but any type or mixture of ground meat you prefer can be swapped in in equal amounts.Ingredients
1/2 pound fresh chorizo, casings removed (about 2 links)
1/2 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 large onion, grated on a box grater, divided
1–2 medium jalapeños, thinly sliced, seeded if desired, divided
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/2\" cubes
2 cups corn kernels (preferably fresh; from about 3 ears of corn), divided
8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 1/3 cup sour cream, plus more for serving 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powderMethod
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat an 8\" cast-iron skillet over high.
- Pat chorizo and beef dry with paper towels, then press into an even layer in bottom of hot skillet with a spatula.
- Cook, undisturbed, until a brown crust begins to form on the bottom, about 6 minutes.
- Turn, break into pieces, and continue to cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, half of grated onion, half of jalapeño, and 1 1/4 tsp. salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and well combined, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups corn, and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Whisk eggs, butter, 1/3 cup sour cream, and remaining onion in a medium bowl.
- Whisk cornmeal, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir to combine, then stir in 1/4 cup cheese and remaining 1/2 cup corn.
- Dollop cornbread batter over meat mixture, then smooth into an even layer.
- Top with remaining jalapeños and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake cornbread until golden brown, 15–18 minutes. Serve with sour cream alongside.