courtesy of LARRAINE PERRI Ingredients
2 medium acorn squash, halved down the middle, seeds removed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups tightly packed torn kale
1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbsMethod
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Cut a thin slice off round side of each squash half to create a stable base.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray.
- Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until golden and tender, 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; flip squash and set aside.
- Heat broiler.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil.
- Add sausage; cook, breaking into coarse pieces, until brown, 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- To same skillet, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and leek; cook until leek is soft, 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook, 30 seconds. Add kale and toss; add broth.
- Cover and cook until kale is tender, 5 minutes; stir in sausage. Divide kale-sausage filling among squash.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, Parmesan and panko; sprinkle evenly over squash bowls and coat with cooking spray.
- Broil until panko is golden, 2 minutes.