courtesy of Karen Adler and Judith Fertig, the Gardener and the Grill
For an even simpler way to prepare berries, instead of the skewer, just place them on a grill pan until a bit charred and warmed through.Ingredients
12 medium-sized strawberries
8 large marshmallows
8 slices French baguette
Olive oil, for brushing
One (4-ounce) bar dark chocolate, cut into 8 pieces
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher or sea saltMethod
- Prepare a medium-hot fire on one side of your grill.
- Thread the strawberries and marshmallows alternately on 4 skewers (if using wooden skewers, pre-soak them). Lightly brush the slices of bread with olive oil.
- Place the skewers directly over the fire and grill for about 4 or 5 minutes until the marshmallows have browned.
- At the same time, grill one side of the bread. Turn the slices over and move to the indirect side of the grill. Place a piece of chocolate on each slice and sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt. Remove from the grill when the chocolate is soft but still holds its shape.
- Serve the skewers with the grilled bread for a grown-up version of s\'mores.