courtesy of Melissa Roberts, Gourmet
Quiche became a classic for a very good reason—its creamy, tender custard is as seductive as it is satisfying. Here, deep-colored broccoli boosts the drama quotient for brunch, lunch, or supper.Ingredients
All-butter pastry dough
10 ounces (1-inch-wide) broccoli florets (with 1 to 2 inches of stem attached)
2 large garlic cloves
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
5 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-ReggianoMethod
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round. Fit dough into pie plate, letting excess hang over edge. Fold overhang inward and press against side of pie plate to reinforce edge. Prick bottom all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Line pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until pastry is set and edge is pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove foil and weights, then bake shell until deep golden all over, 15 to 20 minutes more. Put pie plate in a 4-sided sheet pan. Leave oven on.
- While shell bakes, cook broccoli in a 3-quart pot of boiling salted water 4 minutes. Drain broccoli and rinse under cold water to stop cooking, then pat dry.
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a generous pinch of salt.
- Whisk together garlic paste, eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie shell and add broccoli, then sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake quiche until custard is just set, 45 to 50 minutes. (Center will tremble slightly; filling will continue to set as it cools.) Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Serve quiche warm or at room temperature.