courtesy of MarthaStewart.comIngredients
1 sheet defrosted Puff Pastry
2 cups (abt 5 1/2 oz) shredded Gruyère cheese (Fontina works too)
1 1/2 lbs medium to thick asparagus spears
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper
flour, for work surface
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a floured parchment paper, roll out the puff pastry to about 16×10 inches.
- Trim any uneven edges and move the whole thing, parchment and all to a cookie sheet.
- With a sharp knife lightly score the dough about an inch from the edge all the way around (don’t cut through it, just leave an impression of a line).
- Use a fork and pierce the dough inside the marking at 1/2 inch intervals.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven. Its going to be a little puffy but don’t worry it will deflate itself over the next couple minutes.
- Cut about 1 1/2 inches off the bottoms of the asparagus spears making sure they will fit inside the tart shell.
- Sprinkle the cooked pastry with cheese and arrange the asparagus in a single layer on top. Brush with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until cheese is completely melted, the asparagus is tender when pierced and the pastry is a rich golden brown.
- Remove and serve immediately.