Hello all and Happy Monday! The produce is looking awesome this week! We are so excited for all of our local items. Take a peak at what you can expect in your bins this week! Be sure to share your favorite recipes on our Facebook wall!
- Keep body hydratedCucumber has 96% water content that is more nutritious than regular water, which helps in keeping the body hydrated and regulating body temperature. It also helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
- Skin careThe high water content, vitamins A, B & C and the presence of certain minerals like magnesium, potassium, and silica make cucumbers an essential part of skin care. Facial masks containing cucumber juice can be used for skin tightening. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumbers can bring down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the puffiness and swelling under the eyes. Cucumber skin also can bring relief to the skin caused by sunburn or windburn.
- Fight cancersCucumber are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Control Blood PressureCucumber juice contains a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber that work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumber good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
- Beneficial for teeth and gumsCucumber juice is also beneficial for people with teeth and gums problems, especially in cases of pyorrhea. Cucumber is a good source of dietary fiber and this fiber massage in the teeth and gums.
Check out these big beautiful yellow patty pan squash from Alvarez farm! Patty pan squash are notable for their distinct shape. The name “pattypan” derives from “a pan for baking a patty.” Its French name, pâtisson, derives from a Provençal wordfor a cake made in a scalloped mould. The squash is most tender when relatively immature. Bake or steam these for a quick and delicious meal.
Yay for local blueberries! Blueberries are a power fruit! They are a delicious addition to your favorite breakfast treats and an easy way to brighten up your salad. Eat a cup of these daily to keep your immune system strong. They rank the highest of any fruit for antioxidants (those free-radical-fighting powerhouses), and one cup delivers 14% of the recommended daily dose of fiber and nearly a quarter of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.
Another berry power house is the cherry! Cherries are an excellent source in antioxidants and melatonin. Snack on these berries throughout the day to curve your appetite and fulfill your sweet tooth. And take a look at ours this week! Plump and dark, they are ready to be eaten and absolutely delicious!
Lastly, while these tomatoes aren’t from the Northwest, they are from the west coast. Hailing from California, these gorgeous cherry tomatoes are very tasty! Keep them at your desk for a savory snack throughout the day. Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper for a quick salad full of flavor. Yumm!