courtesy of Gourmet April 1999 Ingredients
2 pounds thin asparagus
2 large yellow bell peppers
1 medium zucchini
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
10 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepperMethod
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and butter a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish (3-quart).
- Trim asparagus and diagonally cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices.
- Cut bell peppers into 1/4-inch-wide strips and mince shallots.
- Halve zucchini lengthwise and diagonally cut both zucchini and scallions into thin slices.
- Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water blanch asparagus 1 minute and drain in a colander. Immediately transfer asparagus to ice water to stop cooking. Drain asparagus well in colander and pat dry.
- In a large skillet cook bell peppers and shallots in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until peppers are softened, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cream, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir in asparagus, bell pepper mixture, zucchini, and scallions. Pour custard into baking dish and bake in middle of oven until golden and set, about 35 minutes. Cool frittata on a rack. Frittata may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring frittata to room temperature before serving. If desired, loosen frittata from edges of pan and slide onto a platter.